The Meredith corporation is a major media conglomerate based in Des Moines, Iowa. Beginning with the founding of Successful Farming magazine in 1902, Meredith Agrimedia serves as the umbrella for a host of publishing platforms, including Successful Farming, Living the Country Life, and Country Gardens. In 1994, Meredith launched Agriculture.com to better serve the needs of rural and farm families.
Meredith wanted to realign their Successful Farming and Agriculture.com brands. A lot of things have changed in the world since 1902—even since 1994! The content management system they had been using was out of date, proprietary, and a pain in the neck to use. They needed a partner who could make strong recommendations and provide solutions that would last into the future.
We needed a long-term partner to continuously drive development forward. Four Kitchens had a proven track record and demonstrated their ability to find innovative solutions from day one.
For this project, we worked as a thought leader with Meredith, guiding them towards a brand refresh with an emphasis on content migration, surfacing evergreen content from their archives for reusability and continued engagement, and developing a new way to think about advertising.
Visual design for brand unification
Meredith Agrimedia had a dated website—they wanted to update the look and improve site access. Meredith wanted to incorporate the visual style of Successful Farming magazine to promote a unified brand image. We pulled visual elements from the print publication onto the site’s style guides to highlight this unified branding.
Metrics that matter
We built a site that focused on user experience, so Meredith Agrimedia could focus on visitors. Meredith Agrimedia can grow their qualified audience, providing advertisers certainty that the ads they’re selling are being seen by the right people.
Migration of deep archives
Four Kitchens audited and migrated over 60,000 pieces of content and over 25GB of assets, including articles, slideshows, videos, podcasts, and more. Hundreds of content categories were distilled into a logical information architecture based on audience and stakeholder interviews. Evergreen content was resurfaced and promoted through content-agnostic modeling, providing multiple kinds of content in the same visitor stream for increased user engagement.
- sitewide viewability increased from 43% to 92% (advertising performance)
- page load times decreased by 67%
- exposure to sub-brands increased by 44%
- on-site searches increased by 10426% (not a typo!)
- successful on-site searches went from 14 to 12,000 45 days after launch
We are thrilled with the noticeable improvement in baseline analytics and Four Kitchens' ability to adapt to our hosting environment and IT policies. There will continue to be hurdles to overcome but the Four Kitchens team members always come to the table with a positive outlook and proposed solution.
Successful Farming at Agriculture.com launched in 2016.
- thought leadership on branding and site structure
- content audit and content modelling
- site migration from a proprietary CMS to an inner-sourced Drupal platform
- visual design guided by their print publication
- collaborated with internal IT team to develop a Drupal-optimized hosting environment
- Drupal 7
- PHP_CodeSniffer / Coder
In Previous News
- Learn about “Multiplier Effect,” a presentation at DrupalCorn 2016 and Drupal Camp Colorado 2016, with Web Chef Jon Peck and Meredith Agrimedia’s Courtney Yuskis