We’re a full service shop using modern web application technologies to build scalable solutions for your needs.
Four Kitchens has unparalleled experience building some of the world’s largest and most demanding websites, including The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, The Economist, Entertainment Weekly, and World Pulse. We have been brought on to provide performance consulting and team augmentation for high-traffic, enterprise sites such as NBC.com, CNN.com, and Volusion.
Our code is responsive, tested, and maintainable.
Four Kitchens designs your site to be fully responsive. Responsive design is about more than just resizing your website to fit onto a phone—mobile-optimized websites must accommodate all possible screen sizes and load fast in order to accommodate for mobile connectivity issues that may arise. Four Kitchens specializes in building highly performant mobile websites, meaning that not only will your site adapt and resize to fit any device, but it will do so at lightning-fast speeds.
Out of the old and onto the new!
Four Kitchens has handled some of the Drupal world’s largest migrations for clients such as People Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, The Economist, and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). We are known for our ability to work with large amounts of data and content in ways that are highly performant, scalable, and SEO-friendly.
We are experts at building flexible and robust content management solutions using Drupal.
Four Kitchens has a long history of contribution to frontend and Drupal communities. We built Pressflow, a high-performance distribution of Drupal that deeply informed many improvements to Drupal 7 from Drupal 6. Our development processes and tools work together to increase both code sustainability and value. Our backend and frontend teams share a comprehensive understanding of the architecture and methodology of Drupal code and modules that results in sustainable and idiomatic custom code.
In the Drupal 8 development cycle, we have been involved with a number of important initiatives including the Drupal 8 HTML5 Initiative and the Drupal 8 Mobile Initiative. We also maintain a large number of frontend- and performance-related modules including Magic, Modernizr, Fastclick, and many others. Our developers regularly create or collaborate on contributed modules for Drupal, present at Drupal camps and global conferences, and discuss Drupal topics in forums and channels.
Coding on the cutting edge.
Sometimes you need just a little extra.
Sometimes it sounds like we're speaking another language; here's a short glossary of terms to help you understand what we do and how we work.
- ArchitectureWebsite architecture is as much a Design process as it is Development. We have to decide how we're going to make your site, what tools we're going to use, how we're going to build it, and how we'll get it user-ready on time and on budget.
- Design in the BrowserAn iterative approach to designing responsive websites that builds features and functionality in a web browser rather than building additional wireframes and/or comps. Our frontend engineers can serve in a primary design capacity, so you can be confident the frontend engineer on your project will bring a nuanced design sensibility to their work.
- DrupalAn open-source content management framework distributed under a free GNU Public license, now on Drupal 8. Four Kitchens has specialized in building sites with Drupal and providing Drupal support to clients for over ten years.
- Feature CompleteSometimes we're done building a site or API, but you're still not ready to let it free into the world. A feature complete site is one that is finished in all ways but for adding the content to it.
- MigrationA way of mapping and moving the stuff on your old site onto your new site, a website migration plan and checklist will make the project run smoothly.. Think of it like moving into a new house: some stuff is kept, some stuff is trashed, and some stuff will be need to be bought anew. But your content isn't a couch— because business has to continue, there will be a time when you're living in both houses at once, so you need a partner who understands migration and will keep your site in sync.